Frequently asked questions

Q: I have applied for ILSF Withdrawals and I have not received my savings?

A: The ILSF withdrawal process takes approximately 2 months once processed by the department on PERSAL/oracle/persol. The employee needs to consult with the HR department after the two months have passed and the payment does not reflect on the payslip.

Q: I was transferred from another department now I am a homeowner and have applied for the withdrawal of my savings. Why did I only receive the savings from my current department?

A: The systems are currently to interfacing with one another during transfers. The HR from the new departments needs to communicate with the HR from previous department to request a last pay certificate from and the benefits must be reinstated if they fell away during the transfer.

Q: What is a code to convert previous home-owners from the old code of R900?

A: 0664 on PERSAL function 5.3.13

Q: Do employees who resigned or dismissed qualify to withdraw ILSF savings?

A: No, they forfeit the savings according to the resolution 7 of 2015 and determination and directive on housing allowance of 2018.

Q: I was employed in 2016 and was not informed that I need to apply for Housing Allowance, as a result I don’t have savings to withdraw?

A: According to chapter 2 of the determination and directive of housing at 8.1 of 2018, An employee shall start to receive his or her housing allowance on the employee’s pay date in the month he/she submits his or her signed application, including the correct documentary proof required’’. You only receive the housing allowance from the month you complete and submitted a fully completed housing application form with all the relevant supporting documents to HR.

-No backdate is possible as the employee did not apply

Q: I was transferred and my housing allowance does not reflect on my payslip?

A: The new department needs to re-instate the housing allowance guided by the last pay certificate and the transferred files of the employee.

Q: Will my savings start from scratch when transferred?

A: The savings will continue and will be withdrawn when they acquire home ownership.

Q: What happens to the savings if the employee passes away without nominating beneficiaries?

A: The savings will go to the estate of the deceased.

Q: I was informed by my HR not to apply for my saving as it will be saved automatically

A: Nothing is automatic, employees need to apply for the housing allowance in order for them to contribute to the ILSF.

Q: Can I withdraw my savings without enrolling?

A: Enrolment is mandatory for withdrawal and access to all benefits of GEHS. Failure to enrol will result in employees forfeiting their saving should they pass away in-service, retire or contract expire.

Q: I have applied to withdraw my savings when I am getting paid?

A: Employees need to first check with their HR if the withdrawal was processed on PERSAL, then if 2 months have passed, HR needs to follow up with us if everything was done correctly on PERSAL and 2 months have passed without getting paid.

An email needs to be send to Tshilidzi to enquire on the progress of the withdrawal.

Q: Can you please send me the schedule for my department?

A: All departments must have group-emails that the schedules can be sent automatically from National Treasury monthly whenever they have withdrawals. Ask them to send the group email to be sent to NT.

Department of Public Service and Administration