About the dpsa
Dpsa was established in 1996 in terms of the Public Service Act of 1994 to provide policy-making support to the Minister in carrying out constitutional and legislative mandate in the following areas:
Last update: 25 January 2011
- To transform and modernize the public service
- To oversee changes to the structure of the public service
- To establish norms and standards for HRM&D, conditions of service, labour relations, IT and service delivery
- To issue directives and regulations for the public service
- To formulate the National Anti-Corruption strategy
- To exercise oversight over the State Information Technology Agency (SITA)
- The mandate of the dpsa has evolved over the years to incorporate support to national government departments and provinces in the implementation of the decentralized HR policy.
- DPSA is also playing a critical role in the region and the continent with respect to public service administration and governance.
- 1994-1996 DPSA was part of the old Commission for Administration (PSC)
- 1998 -2006: Vision - Promoting a Responsive Public Service that delivers on Government's commitment to a better life for all the people of South Africa. Mission- Render professional support to the Minister in leading the transformation process by developing appropriate policies and facilitating their implementation through strategic interventions and partnerships as well as maintaining a well functioning Public Service.
- 2007 : Vision: Global Leader in Public Service Excellence. Mission: 1) Supporting the Minister in leading public service transformation; 2) Providing professional advice and support to ensure public service excellence; 3) Promoting good governance nationally, on the African Continent and Globally